WooCommerce vs. Drupal Commerce
Ecommerce Platforms Comparison
The eCommerce sector has grown significantly in the past years and also the platforms to support them are multiplying.
This is why we decided to dedicate some articles to analyze these different platforms in-depth.
BUT... before that...let’s start from an analysis of the current market context:
The data from the website statista.com regarding purchases on ecommerce platforms in Italy from early February 2020 to today, tell us that the Covid-19 emergency has impacted our habits of goods consumption significantly, moving many of our offline purchases to online.
The 8th March 2020 the sector has recorded an increase of the 90% compared to the same period of the year 2019.
In general, however, as early as 2018, the percentage of consumers who made at least one online purchase had already grown by 93% in the United States, 97% in the United Kingdom and 92% in China.
The market of the developed countries is in its stage of maturity and the competition between the different players is extremely hard.
Many companies like Amazon and Aliexpress are thriving, while many independent retailers struggle to find their USP because the loyalty of the brand and shops is decreasing and the trolley drop rate in the industry is 75%.
You can get more involvement with your brand through the creation of a community (such as: ASOS Marketplace), loyalty programs, the choice of a performing platform and an excellent user experience both mobile and desktop.
Today we will start our comparison by analyzing two different consolidated platforms: WooCommerce and Drupal Commerce.
Drupal Commerce was launched in 2011 as an open source ecommerce framework.It can be used to create ecommerce sites and flexible applications based on Drupal.
According to statistics from the site Drupal.org there are currently more than 5000 sites based on Drupal Commerce, its popularity is certainly due to its stability and ease of use.
What can I do with Drupal Commerce by default?
- The catalog management allows you to customize your offers. For example, a flagship product might deserve a dedicated landing page and Drupal Commerce helps you to create it in easily.
- The complete shopping cart, dynamic creation of products and displays with custom attributes, themes and inventory list and management capabilities allow you to start a task as quickly as possible.
- Predisposition for mobile devices is something you could take for granted and is offered immediately with Drupal Commerce.
- The integration with social media on the checkout page allows the social sharing of purchases on the main social media.
- The perfect integration with third-party payment gateways, along with discount price values, is immediately ready to use. Drupal Commerce powers some of the most secure payment gateways.
Just to learn more, you can watch the video of Bojan Zivanovic’s speech at Devdays Cluj 2019.Of course we were in the front row to follow him.
WooCommerce was born in 2011 as a free Wordpress plugin that facilitated the sale of products within a site based on this platform. At least 3000,000 websites are currently based on this platform.
What can I do with WooCommerce by default?
- You can add multiple variants of a product and there are no limits to the inventory.
- Inventory management is very efficient with WooCommerce: you can check inventory levels, recent and past orders and incoming notifications.
- You have the option to allow visitors to register and also make purchases as guests.
- Product sorting and filtering options help you filter out from the multitude of categories.
- Systems for evaluating and reviewing products and vendors are readily available.
- Payment processing by the best providers.
Search engine optimization, Google Analytics integration are some useful features for your marketing activities.
As we have seen from the data currently WooCommerce has in hand the 30% of the market, but it is important to go beyond the numbers and to make some ulterior considerations before deciding and this table can help us:
Would you like to learn more?->Contact us
Realizziamo qualcosa di straordinario insieme!
Siamo consulenti prima che partner, scrivici per sapere quale soluzione si adatta meglio alle tue esigenze. Potremo trovare insieme la soluzione migliore per dare vita ai tuoi progetti.